Juvenile Hand-Feeding Formula Harrison’s Bird Foods
JUVENILE HAND-FEEDING FORMULA
USES and STORAGE
- For hand-feeding psittacine chicks until weaning.
- For chicks following feeding of Neonate Formula for selected parrots.
- For birds recovering from illness or injuries and birds that are losing weight during a diet conversion.
- May be used in pet birds of all ages.
- Storage: Harrison’s Bird Foods do not contain artificial preservatives. Once opened, a bag of Harrison’s should be used up within 6 weeks. Storing food in fridge or freezer helps maintain freshness. Note “use before” dating printing on bag.
Caution: The correct feeding technique must be used in order to prevent injury to the bird or inhalation of the formula that could result in pneumonia or death.
- From day 1 for pionus, African greys, Amazons, cockatoos, conures and macaws.
- From day 7 for other parrots.
- From day 21 for cockatiels.
Step 1: Gently feel the crop to determine that it is almost empty before feeding.
Step 2: Mix fresh: Juvenile Hand-Feeding Formula and bottled “drinking water” heated to approximately 103°F (39°C). Follow proportion of formula to water as directed by your avian veterinarian for the age of your bird. Do not microwave. Allow to cool to lukewarm. Chicks with their eyes opened should be fed 3-4 times daily, and birds with feathers emerging, 2-3 times daily.
Step 3: Feeding with an irrigation syringe is probably the most universally successful technique. As one faces the bird, position the syringe to enter the oral cavity from the left side of the bird’s beak and direct it toward the right side of the bird’s neck. Deposit the food into the bird’s mouth and, as it swallows, the normal feeding response closes off the trachea and prevents aspiration of the formula into the lungs.
Step 4: Feed the bird until the crop is full but not overstuffed, and clean the excess formula from the bird’s beak, feathers and enclosure.
- One- to seven-day-old birds and birds with slow crop-emptying may benefit from adding a pinch of HBD’s Avian Enzyme to the Formula just prior to feeding.
- To aid weaning after 21 days of age, add 1 Tbs finely chopped High Potency Formula or finely chopped organic nuts to 1 cup of Formula or introduce dry High Potency Formula in a separate bowl.
*Hulled Gray Millet, *Sunflower Kernels, *Hull-less Barley, *Corn, *Toasted Soybeans, *Peanut Kernels, *Peas, *Lentils, *Toasted Oat Groats, *Brown Rice, Tapioca Maltodextrin, *Psyllium, *Alfalfa, Calcium Carbonate, *Algae Meal, Bentonite, Mixed Tocopherals (a source of Vitamin E), *Sea Kelp, Salt, Vitamin/Mineral Supplement (Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Carbonate and *Sunflower Oil
*CERTIFIED ORGANIC INGREDIENT
Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein (min.) 18%, crude fat (min.) 11%, crude fiber (max.) 4%, moisture (max.) 10%.
Harrison's bird Foods
1 lb (454g), 3 lbs